Need Help?

How to Check Your H-1B Case Status with USCIS

Unsure of your H-1B petition status?  Does it seem like processing time is dragging?  Has your address or other contact information changed since the time of filing leave you concerned that maybe you missed something?  You can get peace of mind by checking your case status online through the USCIS Case Status Online portal.

Here is what you need: the case receipt number.  This is a unique 13-character code consisting of three letters and ten subsequent numbers.  If you are not sure where your case receipt number is, look at the notices of action you have received by USCIS.  This number will appear on these notices.

On the case tracking portal, you will be prompted to enter this number.  When doing so, include all numbers, including asterisks if applicable, but omit all dashes, then hit the CHECK STATUS button.  From here, you will be able to view the status of your case and additional steps you will need to take.  If your contact information or address has changed since the time of filing, you will be prompted at this point to update this information to ensure streamlined communication regarding visa processing.

At this point, into FY2022, you are likely anxious to get the H-1B employee onboarded and to work.  There may still be RFEs standing in your way.  While RFE rates have dropped from previous cap-subject H-1B visa filing cycles, they are slowly creeping back up as second-round selections for this year’s lottery are being processed.  If you receive an RFE instead of approval, don’t panic.  This is not a rejection and can serve as an opportunity to strengthen your case.  Read over the RFE, then put it down and go back to the original H-1B eligibility requirements.  Then, cross-reference to see which requirements USCIS find evidence lacking in your case and provide additional evidence and documentation from there. 

If you have an education issue, a credential evaluation that fills in any gaps between the education the beneficiary has and the education USCIS will approve.  This may require a progressive work experience conversion in which three years of work experience in the field of the H-1B job wherein the beneficiary’s work took on greater complexity, specialization, and responsibility occurred indicating that education occurred on the job can be converted into one year of college credit in the major of the H-1B job. 

If you have a specialty occupation issue, an expert opinion letter written by an expert with extensive experience working in the field of the H-1B job in positions of leadership in which they made hiring decisions regarding the position in question will lend weight to your case.  This letter will be based on the information you can provide to the expert regarding the specific position in question. 

At CCI we work with difficult RFEs every year and we get them overturned.  We work with professors authorized to grant college credit for work experience available to write progressive work experience conversions.  Our international and domestic education experts write every credential evaluation uniquely, taking the job, education, work experience, visa requirements, and USCIS approval trends into account.  We work with experts in every H-1B field to write opinion letters to strengthen H-1B cases.  We know what triggers RFEs and we know how to successfully answer them.

Let us review your case for free.  Visit and we will respond in 4 hours or less with a free consultation. 

Sheila Danzig

Sheila Danzig is the director off CCI  Sheila specializes in overturning RFEs and Denials for work visas.

Scroll to Top