Case Study: The Right Credential Evaluation to Overturn an H-1B RFE

During H-1B RFE season, we have beneficiaries come to us every year with education RFEs.  We always tell our readers to NEVER submit a petition without a credential evaluation IF the education is incomplete, in a different degree than the field of the H-1B job or a generalized degree, or from a different country.  They listen.  They order a credential evaluation and they get an education RFE anyway.

What went wrong?

First of all, the foreign credential evaluation industry has very little oversight or overall governing principles.  Every credential is different, and every situation the evaluation is needed for is different.  That is why is a member of the International Center for Academic Excellence, a membership organization that enforces standards of excellence for its members in an industry with very little oversight.  All companies are required to maintain their own current research libraries for individual credential evaluations rather than doing what most agencies do, which is write a cookie-cutter evaluation based on an online database.

Order an evaluation from an agency that applies a cookie-cutter solution to an individualized issue, and you’ll end up with an RFE every time.  These RFEs call the authority of the credential evaluator into question, but they are also issued because the evaluation does not address the job, or the visa requirements.

When choosing the correct credential evaluator, make sure the agency is a member of a professional membership organization with high and enforceable standards of excellence.  They should be responsive when you contact them and offer affordable rates.  They should ALWAYS ask about your job and your visa.  Different visas have different regulations for how to construct academic equivalencies.  For example, with the H-1B visa, a beneficiary who has a US Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry and an H-1B job in Engineering needs the equivalency of a US Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry to get the RFE overturned.  With H-1B, an evaluator could write a work experience conversion that equates three years of progressive work experience in the field of Engineering into one year of college credit in the major of Engineering.  Combining college credit and work experience to make the correct degree equivalency can work like this for H-1B, but not for other visa classifications like EB-2 in which the Bachelor’s degree must be a single source. 

If you, or your employee or client received an Education RFE, we can write the RIGHT credential evaluation needed to get that visa overturned.  For a free review of your case, visit ccifree.com  We will get back to you in 48 hours or less.

Scroll to Top