Work Experience and College Credit – How Does the Conversion Work?

Post 236 of 407

If you are petitioning for an H1B visa, you will need to prove the USCIS that you are qualified for your specialty occupation. Holders of three-year bachelors degrees and applicants whose field of study doesn’t exactly match the field of the job they hold run into problems. They must prove US equivalency of their foreign degrees to be approved for H1B visa status.

This requires a detailed evaluation by a credential evaluation agency with the authority to convert classroom contact hours and work experience into college credit hours. This requires an in-depth evaluation of your work experience and the academic content of your studies.

But how exactly is work experience converted into college credit?

Typically, three years of work experience in any given field can be equated to one college year of study in that field. Of course, this is a very general overview of a detailed evaluation that only those authorized to carry out can do. This is not a do-it-yourself manual. While you can articulate your qualifications your word has no authority to the USCIS. You must enlist an authorized credential evaluation agency to make these conversions.

We at CCI have the authority to convert work experience into college credit. For a free consultation call us anytime at 1.800.771.4723 or visit us online at

This article was written by Rebecca Little