foreign degrees

Academic Credential Evaluations for Graduate Students with Foreign Degrees

Students with foreign degrees interested in higher education need evaluations to determine the U.S. equivalency of course work and grades. Colleges require these evaluations to transfer credits and establish a grade point average.(EMAILWIRE.COM, June 11, 2009 ) June 11, 2009, Washington DCIf you earned your Bachelor Degree outside the U.S., you will almost certainly need a foreign credential evaluation of your degree if you want to attend graduate school in the United States. This academic credential evaluation will help to demonstrate that your education qualifies you to enter a U.S. Master’s Degree program.Students who are planning to use their foreign credential evaluations for educational purposes almost always need a course by course evaluation. In most instances, the college or university will want to examine the course work to assure that the student has had the necessary undergraduate classes to succeed in a graduate degree program. The course by course evaluation will also show the number of credit hours to which each course is equal. This can be a very important factor in establishing that a student does indeed have a major in the required academic field. A typical U.S. Bachelor’s Degree has an average of 120 credits, so academic degrees with fewer credits than this are usually not recognized as equivalent.The evaluator completing a course by course evaluation also assigns a U.S. grade to each graded course. This can sometimes be a complex process, because different countries have different grading systems. Certain countries, including Brazil, Canada, and the nations which formerly comprised the U.S.S.R., may even use more than one grading scale. Therefore, if you are planning to order a course by course evaluation, it is sometimes handy to include a grading scale from your university. This is especially true if your school’s grading school differs from the standard national scale.Evaluators also calculate an overall grade point average for the student’s degree. A grade point average may not seem very relevant to students who completed their education outside the U.S. Those students who are familiar with U.S. grade point averages, however, are aware that most colleges and universities require a certain grade point average in order to be accepted into an educational program or earn one’s degree. If you have special requirements for a course by course evaluation, notify the evaluator with your request before you order the evaluation. He or she may or may not be able to accommodate your needs, and it’s better to find out before you order. Most of the time, Sheila Danzig the Executive Director at Career Consulting International will make every effort to help you if she can. If you need a specialized foreign credential evaluation,, and discuss your needs with their team of experts.]]>

H1B Visa Workers Needed Because Not Enough US Workers Make the Grade

H1B visa workers are needed because of the shortage of U.S. workers with the qualifications for specialty jobs. Foreign degree evaluations by agencies such as Career Consulting International ensure that these workers have the needed academic credentials.(EMAILWIRE.COM, April 29, 2009 ) Why are major US corporations hiring foreign workers and sponsoring their entry into the country with H1B visas? How can American companies justify hiring professionals from other countries and importing them into the country to take American jobs? The answer, as seen by industry giants such as Microsoft Corporation, is startling – and painful – in its simplicity. U.S. workers just don’t make the grade. This is the argument that the major business organizations still hiring H1B workers for fiscal year 2010 are making. They claim that no US professionals can be found who have the necessary skills to perform the work required.In recent years, United States universities have seen fewer American students enrolling in computer, mathematics and science degree programs. These programs, however, continue to be popular with students from other countries.Unfortunately, many of these students are returning to their home countries to take high-paying positions in technology-related businesses and industries. This problem is even more evident at the graduate degree level. Many students receiveforeign degrees from undergraduate programs in their home countries, and then enter the United States to take advantage of the educational excellence offered by top-ranking graduate degree programs. Then they return home.April 29, Sunrise Florida Business organizations such as Microsoft Corporation hire workers with foreign degrees to work in the United States with temporary work visas known as H1B visas. To be eligible for an H1B visa, the worker must show the USCIS that his or her foreign degree is the U.S. equivalency of a bachelor degree or higher.This isn’t always as easy as it might seem. Many graduates from colleges in India, for example, attend three-year undergraduate programs to obtain their Bachelor Degree. Usually, these workers also have to show three years of work experience to receive the educational equivalency of a four-year bachelor degree.Evaluating foreign education to determine whether these academic credentialsare the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor degree is often a complicated process. It requires experts who are familiar with the vast array of degree programs and education systems worldwide. Most foreign credential evaluation services, including Career Consulting International (CCI), also specialize in a particular area of academic credentials evaluations.While almost any agency can help with a simple evaluation, however, Career Consulting International specializes in complex evaluations involving three-year degrees and other difficult cases. CCI even offers free pre-evaluations to workers who have received an RFE or denial at]]>

Scroll to Top