Student Visas: Are Universities Responsible?

Post 417 of 419
Student Visas: Are Universities Responsible?

Many students with foreign diplomas apply for visas to study graduate degrees in the United States. They obtain foreign credential evaluation from agencies such as Career Consulting International, and enroll in the university or college with students visas. Most students who attend American institutions with these temporary visas are listed in the Student Exchange and Visitor Program database.

In cases concerning these students, U.S. colleges and universities are required to report whether students remain enrolled in school. Furthermore, their academic credentials – especially their grade point averages (GPAs) are closely monitored through this database. Schools who fail to disclose this data violate the regulations established by the Department of Homeland Security, or DHS.

But what about students who attempt to enroll in college degree programs without obtaining the proper visa? First, universities are not required to decide whether a student has entered the United States with a documented visa status. Furthermore, school officials are not required to report to the Department of Homeland Security if they become aware that one of their students does not have a documented immigration visa.

In fact, the student has primary responsibility for maintaining good standing with the U.S. government. If the individual remains in the United States and attempts to enter school without the proper legal status, he or she faces the risk of being removed from the country. Usually, individuals who are removed from the country under such circumstances are barred from ever returning to the U.S. again.

This permanent threat against re-entry into the United States emphasizes the importance for foreign students of adhering to proper procedures for obtaining an immigrant visa before beginning a college degree program in the U.S. While this can be a complicated process, the alternative is certainly worse. Furthermore, many foreign credential evaluation agencies and immigration attorneys are available to help make the transition less painful.

Tne of the most important steps a student can take in beginning the immigration visa process is to contact a reputable foreign credential evaluation agency, such as Career Consulting International. Such agencies are able to provide evaluation reports documenting a student’s current level of education, as well as the U.S. equivalency for the foreign degree or diploma held by the student. This will frequently allow the student to avoid repeating a number of classes.

Many people do not realize that the majority of American colleges and universities consider even high school diplomas issued in other countries as foreign academic credentials that need to be evaluated. Although a large percentage of foreign countries have standards for secondary education that meet or exceed those of the U.S., some countries do not. Furthermore, some countries offer different levels of high school diplomas, and only students holding certain kinds of diplomas will allow them entry into university.

If you are considering attending university in the United States, take the proper steps to have your international credentials evaluated. Follow the requirements and obtain an immigrant visa and maintain a documented status within the country. If you choose not to do this, you might just be fortunate enough to graduate from college and achieve your career goals. But then again, you might not. Is it really worth the risk?

This article was written by sheila