Brilliant, highly skilled professionals often take non-traditional pathways through education combining work experience with formal training.  Sometimes all of the education takes place on the job.  The question is, how do you explain this to USCIS in your H-1B visa petition?

The answer is that you must show the US academic value of the work experience.  The way to do this is with a detailed credential evaluation that includes a work experience conversion.  A professor authorized to grant college credit for work experience can convert three years of progressive work experience in the field of the H-1B job into one year of college credit towards that major.  That means twelve years of progressive work experience can be expressed as the academic equivalent of a US bachelor’s degree for USCIS.

What is progressive work experience?  This means periods of employment wherein the H-1B beneficiary can show education took place by virtue of promotions, more responsibility, or that the nature of the work became increasingly complex over time.  These three components show that education occurred on the job, specialized skills were mastered, and specialized knowledge was acquired.

At CCI we work with professors who are authorized to grant college credit for work experience.  Along with our team of education experts, we write every credential evaluation uniquely to address to job, the education, the work experience, the visa, and USCIS approval trends.  These are the vital elements to writing a successful credential evaluation to effectively communicate the educational value of the beneficiary’s breadth of work experience to USCIS in terms of US academic standards.

For a free review of your case and consultation visit  We will respond in 4 hours or less.

Sheila Danzig

Sheila Danzig is the director of CCI  Sheila specializes in overturning RFEs and Denials for work visas.

Scroll to Top