Write for Your Reader: RFE’s and Resumes

Post 254 of 423

It’s essential to never forget that behind all of the documents, forms, and filing, the person who will ultimately read your work resume, H1-B petition, or REF response is going to be a very busy person. Potential employers can read hundreds of resumes for one single position and USCIS agents have to read thousands of H1-B petitions every year. They’re looking for an easy read and an easy choice. You can give this to them. The easier you make their jobs, the better the outcome will be for you.

Whether you’re applying for your first H1-B job or an H1-B transfer job, you cannot expect your employers to understand the value of your foreign degree. Even if they do, you still need to prove the US equivalence of your foreign education to the USCIS to have your H1-B visa approved. To do this you must hire a credential evaluation agency to evaluate your foreign degree for US equivalence. If you have a 3-year bachelor’s degree, you will need to find an agency with the authority to convert classroom contact hours into US college credit hours to show equivalence to a US 4-year bachelor’s degree.

In addition, the USCIS has tightened its standards around what degrees are considered acceptable qualifications for specialized occupations. Before, if you had a degree in a field related to your position it would work, but now they are requiring your degree to be in the exact field of your employment. If your degree doesn’t exactly match your field of employment, you must hire a credential evaluation agency with the authority to convert work experience into college credit hours so you can bridge this gap as well.

Remember, at the end of the day, a person will be the one to read your resume, petition, and your RFE response. Be polite, be clear, be informative. Have everything required there and in order, and make sure it arrives on time. If reading your petition, resume, or response is a pleasant experience for your potential employer or the USCIS worker, the outcome will be better for you.

At CCI, we have the authority to convert classroom contact hours and work experience into college credit. For a free consultation visit us at cciFree.com of give us a call at 1.800.771.4723.

This article was written by Rebecca Little