How to Find the Right Credential Evaluator

Post 257 of 420

To qualify for H-1B visa status to legally work in the United States, you must prove in your application that your job is a specialty occupation and that you are fully qualified for it by US educational standards.

To prove that your job is in fact a specialty occupation you must show that to qualify you must have a bachelor’s degree or higher or other specialized licensure or certification. To do this you can send in the advertisement for the job opening that shows that the minimum requirements for this position are a bachelor’s degree or higher. You can also submit an expert opinion or documentation proving similar jobs in companies and organizations that are similar require a bachelor’s degree or higher to qualify.

In your application you must also provide documentation proving you meet the requirements for your specialty occupation by US educational standards. If you have a degree from abroad, you need to prove US equivalency and the only way you can do this is to get an evaluation of your foreign credentials from an authorized credential evaluation agency. You want to choose the right one. If you have a 3-year bachelor’s degree, you will need a detailed evaluation and a credential evaluation agency with the authority to convert classroom contact hours into college credit hours. If your degree is not in the exact field of your specialty occupation you will need to have work experience in the field converted into college credit hours to bridge this gap as well, and only a credential evaluation agency with the authority to do this can help you. When researching which agency to go with, it’s important that they have the authority to do both of these things for your detailed evaluation.

Before ordering an evaluation from ANY credential evaluation agency, first talk with them via phone. If you don’t feel comfortable from your conversation, don’t order from them. Ask if they will work from copies of your education documents. This will save you time and give you peace of mind because if they work from copies of original documents you don’t have to worry about the original documents getting lost in the mail or having to take the time to dig them up when you’re already on a tight schedule with your visa application. Ask if you can talk with a superior at the company, and ask if you can call, text, or email because if they truly want to work with you they will use whatever communication medium you prefer.

Visit or call 1-800-771-4723 for a free credential evaluation consultation.

This article was written by Rebecca Little